Communications Officer (Maternity Cover)
Vacancy Reference 6458BR
For more information and to apply - click here
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is seeking to recruit a Communications Officer to work within the Wales Institute for Social and Economic Research, Data & Methods (WISERD) centre which is located within the School. The successful candidate will support WISERD to communicate its research. You will develop new opportunities to raise the profile of WISERD's work with a wide range of audiences. You will lead on the implementation of the communications strategy, including liaising with the media, updating the website, managing WISERD's social media presence and producing regular publications and e-newsletters.
This is a full time post available now, and is fixed term until 30 April 2018 to cover a period of maternity leave.
Salary: £26,495 - £30,688 per annum (Grade 5)
The post holder will be responsible to Ms Alice Taylor
For informal enquiries contact Alice Taylor, TaylorA34@cardiff.ac.uk or Telephone 029 20870983
Interviews will be held during the week beginning Monday, 2 October
Support the Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research, Data and Methods (WISERD) to communicate its research. Develop WISERD’s communications activity, creating exciting copy, supporting events and actively seeking out news stories to raise the profile of WISERD’s work with a wide range of audiences.
- Assist with the development of communications strategy and plans and make recommendations to improve communications activity.
- Provide professional advice and guidance on communications activity to WISERD researchers, using judgement and creativity to suggest the most appropriate course of action, and ensuring complex and conceptual issues are understood.
- Produce high quality written copy and edit copy for a wide range of audiences and purposes, to include the WISERD website, e-newsletters, press releases and regular printed publications.
- Take a proactive approach to public relations, forecasting upcoming media events and announcements and spotting and preparing newsworthy activity within WISERD. Repurpose and repackage news items for a wide range of different audiences.
- Work closely with colleagues within the WISERD universities, stakeholders and funders to develop narratives to communicate the institute’s research activity effectively to key audiences
- Assist in the management and development of WISERD’s online presence, including the WISERD website, blog and Twitter.
- Assist in the organisation and promotion of events such as research seminars, conferences and public events
- Help to embed communications activities within WISERD by attending relevant meetings, and arranging meetings with academics.
- Where necessary, to oversee and liaise with external designers and print companies on the production of printed material, ensuring it is consistent with WISERD branding and visual identity.
- Establish good working relationships with colleagues in the WISERD universities and each university’s Marketing and Communications Division, ensuring information flow and therefore maximising the impact of communications activities.
- Support the communication of research impact activity. Work with colleagues on communicating their research successes or special projects. An emphasis will be placed upon communicating the most important research news.
- Produce reports on communications activity and objectives, as required by WISERD’s governance bodies and funders.
- Work as part of the WISERD hub team, ensuring that colleagues are kept informed of your work and deputising for colleagues, as required.
- Ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties
- Abide by University policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity
- Perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role