Times: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Course Leader: Dr Chris Stride, The University of Sheffield
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is aimed at two distinct groups; those seeking a beginners’ course in Path Analysis techniques such as Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) and Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA); and those with some previous experience of Structural Equation Modelling who wish to learn to use the powerful and elegant MPlus software, which can be employed in an incredibly wide range of model fitting scenarios.
A basic knowledge of Exploratory Factor Analysis and the ideas behind multiple regression analysis will be advantageous to participants. No previous knowledge or experience with SEM or the MPlus software is assumed.
Course content and aims
- The course will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to Path Analysis – what is it and why do we need it?
- Assessing the fit of a Structural Equation Model
- Comparing competing Structural Equation Models
- Preparing and importing data into MPlus from SPSS
- Getting started with analysis in MPlus – the basics of the software
- Fitting a simple Confirmatory Factor Analysis in MPlus
- Fitting a simple Structural Equation Model in MPlus
- Testing for indirect effects in Structural Equation Models
- Fitting Structural Equation Models with missing data
- Including Categorical variables in Structural Equation Models
- Multiple group analysis
The course comprises of a mixture of short lectures on the basic theory behind Structural Equation Models, teaching via examples worked through by the trainer on real data sets which participants can follow, and exercises to practice the skills just learned. You will also receive a 80-page coursebook containing all the notes and worked examples, providing an easy reference for the basics of performing SEM in MPlus, and as a reminder for the techniques you have learned.
For further information please contact WISERD.email@example.com