This multidisciplinary research network project is jointly hosted by WISERD and the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi. It is funded under a Global Challenge Research Fund award from the Academy of Medical Sciences. The Principal Investigators are Professor Paul Chaney (WISERD, Cardiff) and Dr Sarbeswar Sahoo (IIT, Delhi) – in collaboration with Dr Seuty Sabur (BRAC University, Dhaka, Bangladesh). In addition to original data gathering, the network project brings together scholars interested in citizenship rights and civil society. It is a forum for knowledge exchange, collaboration and international comparative research.
Areas of enquiry include:
- What role does civil society play in advancing citizenship rights and promoting inclusive development?
- How can civil society work in partnership with government in order to realise citizenship rights?
- How do notions of citizen rights vary between different social groups, and across territories?
- How can we conceptualise civil society, its relationship to the state - and its role in upholding democracy and citizenship rights?
- Can we identify examples of international best practice in the promotion of citizenship rights?
- How can we better understand the interplay between civil society, rights and international imperatives such as development aid, UN treaty obligations and Sustainable Development Goals?