WISERD Annual Conference 2023
Wednesday 28 and Thursday 29 June 2023
The theme for our Annual Conference is ‘Civil society and governance in an age of crisis’.
Our theme reflects global challenges and multiple crises shaping civil society, economy and governance. We are witnessing increasing alarm at rising poverty and inequality across the world shaped by a global energy crisis and escalating costs of living. In addition, there is increasing concern about climate change and environmental collapse and the subsequent migration flows; implications of more radical civic activism and changes in civil society; and global calls for changes to social, economic and political models.
The conference promises to provide colleagues from across the academic, policy, public, private, and third sectors with the opportunity to network and discuss cutting edge inter-disciplinary research from Wales and beyond that focuses on approaches adopted in a wide range of policy areas. We are interested to hear from colleagues on the following topic areas, particularly if they intersect with contemporary challenges:
- Global and local crises, governance, and civil society
- Climate change, place and civil society
- Language participation, culture and identity
- Work, liveability and social justice
- Geographies of inequality and social justice
- Wales’s global connections: civil society and participation in context
- Participation and civil society through the life course
- Participation in education and the labour market
- Working with communities
- Activism and civil society research
- Doing participatory and action research
Papers and posters on other topics within the theme not covered by the above sub-themes are also welcome.
This year we would like to invite proposals for paper presentations, workshops/interactive sessions, posters/exhibits, or colloquia in any discipline that engages with social sciences.
- Abstracts must be submitted by using the attached proforma template.
- Each abstract proposal or idea should be submitted separately.
- Proposals may be submitted in English or Welsh.
- All submissions will be reviewed by the WISERD Reviewing Committee. Their role is to ensure the development of a balanced programme of sessions which is based on relevance, demand, professional development need and timing. It may not be possible to include all proposals and ideas, but we thank everyone in advance for their efforts and interest in supporting the WISERD Annual Conference 2023.
- Notifications of acceptance will be issued in March 2023 and once the programme has been finalised, contributors will be given confirmation of the date and time of their session. Successful speakers will be asked to submit their detailed session materials during the spring.
- There is a possibility that successful speakers may be asked to present in a different format.
- If you are accepted as a speaker you will need to register as a delegate in the normal way and to book during the early bird booking period 20th March – 15th May 2023.
The deadline for abstract submission is 9am on Friday 10 February 2023.
Please submit your abstracts to WISERDAnnualConference@cardiff.ac.uk.
Please be aware that there is limited accommodation available for this year’s WISERD conference. Please can you let us know as soon as possible if you require accommodation on either the 27th or 28th June, and your name will be added to a waiting list. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee accommodation for all attendees and we will provide this on a first come, first served basis.
We look forward to receiving your paper and to an exciting conference in 2023.