WISERD is committed to looking after personal data that are made available to us when you visit our website or sign up to events or mailing lists. We will do this in accordance with data protection and privacy laws. This policy outlines what information we retain, how we use it and what your rights are. It is split into the following sections:
- What is personal data?
- Who is responsible for the data you provide to WISERD?
- What personal data do WISERD process and what do we use it for?
- Service providers and partners
- Legal basis for processing your personal data
- Sharing your personal data
- How long do we keep your personal data?
- Your rights
- Cookies and web statistics
- Contact details
Please note: This policy applies to data we process in accordance with our engagement and marketing remit. It does not necessarily apply to our research data (this is, data collected from participants in a research project). Research participants with queries about their personal data should contact WISERD in the first instance, who will put them in touch with the relevant project team.
‘Personal data’ relate to a living individual who can be identified from those data, either directly, or by combining these data with additional information. The processing of such data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which was introduced in 2018.
2. Who is responsible for the data you provide to WISERD?
The Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research and Data (WISERD) is a national, interdisciplinary, social science research institute. We are a collaborative venture between the universities of Aberystwyth, Bangor, Cardiff, South Wales and Swansea. Most of WISERD’s engagement and marketing is conducted by Cardiff University on behalf of all parties, therefore Cardiff University is the Data Controller for personal data collected as a result of these activities. This means that Cardiff University is responsible for deciding how these data are processed and for what purposes.
WISERD acts as a Data Processor, meaning that WISERD undertakes the day-to-day processing of these data.
3. What personal data do WISERD process and what do we use it for?
WISERD may ask you to provide some information about yourself if you wish to access our services. This may involve signing up to an event, requesting to join our mailing list or using the WISERD DataPortal. Personal data we may store and process include:
- · Biographical information consisting of your name and title;
- · Contact details, including address, email address and phone number;
- · Your research interests and contact preferences;
- · Your attendance at our events;
- · Information that affects the running of events, such as dietary and access requirements.
This information will be used by WISERD to administer services you have signed up for. We may also use it to derive information for reporting purposes. If your data are used for reporting purposes they will be used in an aggregated form and your personal data will be removed.
WISERD will make sure all personal data are processed in accordance with the GDPR.
4. Service providers and partners
WISERD use a range of third party service providers to help us provide you with a better service. These are listed below.
5. Legal basis for processing your personal data
Personal data obtained after 25th May 2018 will be processed on the basis of your explicit consent. By registering for an event or signing up to our mailing list you are providing us with consent to process your data for the purposes outlined in Section 3.
Personal data obtained before 25th May 2018, collected for legitimate business purposes, will continue to be processed for these purposes (outlined in Section 3 ) where we deem them to be for your benefit. For example, this may include delivering or promoting events and activities which we feel will be of interest. You have the right to object to this processing at any time (see Section 8).
While WISERD’s engagement and marketing team operate out of Cardiff University it may occasionally be necessary to share your personal data within WISERD’s partner institutions (outlined in Section 2). Data will only be shared for the purposes outlined in Section 3, such as to administer an event, and will be processed in compliance with GDPR to ensure your data are secure and well maintained.
WISERD do not sell or otherwise transfer personal data to any third parties, aside from those listed in Section 4, without your consent, or unless this is permitted by law.
7. How long do we keep your personal data?
Your personal data will be held for the duration of WISERD’s research funding, or a maximum of 7 years from your last engagement with WISERD. You may request that your personal data are destroyed at any time (see Section 8).
Even if we delete your personal data it may persist on backup or archival media for an additional period of time for legal or regulatory reasons or for legitimate and lawful business purposes.
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- · The right to request a copy of your personal data that WISERD holds about you;
- · The right to request that WISERD corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- · The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for WISERD to retain such data;
- · The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- · The right to request that the data controller provide the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (known as the right to data portability), where applicable;
- · The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- · The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable);
- · The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
Cookies are used to compile general (not personal) site usage statistics. Cookies are not used to capture or store personal information for any other purpose.
The WISERD website uses hosted web analytics software. These are hosted services provided and managed by a third party company. WISERD’s supplier of hosted web analytics is Google.
The information is used for the purpose of evaluating use of our website, improving the users’ experience of our website and compiling reports on website activity.
If you have any queries with the content of this page, or wish to exercise any of the rights listed in Section 8, please contact email@example.com.