This report reveals the latest figures of Wales’ Towns and Cities including the number of retail premises, the vacancy rates, the retail structure and the relationship with socio-economic characteristics and geographical typology.
The main takeaways:
- The vacancy rate decreased in Wales in all three location types (Retail parks, high streets and shopping centres) that LDC track and has done so since 2013.
- Across Wales, the vacancy rate for leisure premises is lower than for retail premises (following the same trend as GB as a whole).
- The proportion of independent retailers in towns has increased overall from 54% to 58%, although there is a large variation across towns.
This report also addresses the following questions:
- What is the retail scale of Welsh towns and cities?
- What is the vacancy rate and how is it changing?
- What is the retail structure of Wales’ towns and cities?