Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
This project combined quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to examine the participation of European migrants from the A8 countries in local civil society. Fieldwork took place in three localities across Wales; one urban, one rural and one semi-rural.
The project employed a mixed-methods approach. The research was conducted in two stages. The team will conduct 80 hour long interviews. This research focused on: Welshpool (semi-rural), Pwllheli (coastal), The Black Mountains – consisting of the wards of Bronllys, Bwlch, Crickhowell, Glasbury, Gwernyfed, Hay, Llangattock, Llangors, Llangynidr, and Talgarth in Powys – (rural), and Llanelli (urban).
The first stage was centred on statistical analysis of Census data, from 1951 onwards, which entails examining the evolving demographic profiles of the different areas following in-migration from other parts of the UK and more recently from outside the UK, especially from Central and Eastern Europe after EU enlargement in 2004.
The second aspect of the quantitative analysis entailed investigation of the Citizenship Survey. A particular focus in this aspect attempted to discern whether there is a difference in the propensity of A8 migrants, other migrant groups and UK born residents to get involved in activities within local communities. The second stage is focussed on qualitative data collection, drawing on semi-structured interviews with locally-based A8 migrants about their roles in civil society.
- How are A8 migrants involved with civil society?
- How do A8 migrants’ involvements relate to senses of belonging in particular localities?
- How do A8 migrants’ involvements align with notions of ‘good relations’ of social cohesion?
- How do A8 migrants experience belonging in Wales as a distinct part of the UK?
- Two research articles were published in highly-respected journals based on this project
- Four conference papers were also presented at: the WISERD conference, two national conferences, and an international conference during the duration of the project